Jeff Lee is a seasoned oil & gas engineer with more than 20 years of oil and gas capital projects, field development, infrastructure planning, operations, corporate development, and executive experience in the U.S. and Canada. A sample of his project experience is listed in each section.
Carbon Capture, Utilization, Storage
Jeff is one of the leading experts in CCS/CCUS. He has provided technical and commercial advisory services to project developers, asset operators, and development banks in North America and Asia.
- Concept study for a carbon capture, transport, and storage project in the Gulf Coast targeting new and existing LNG facilities.
- CO2-EOR business model and pipeline technical advisor for a CCUS demonstration project by Asian Development Bank and Ministry of Ecology & Environment for a Chinese state-owned oil producer.
- Business case study for DoE/University of Texas on carbon capture pilot at a 900MW CCGT power plant.
- Expert consultant for program design at DOE-Office of Fossil Energy and Carbon Management (FECM) on CO2 transport and storage studies.
- System review of a sour gas pipeline for planned conversion to CO2 service as part of a CCUS operator’s grant application.
- Greenfield 16-mtpa 325-mile high-pressure liquid carbon dioxide pipeline permitting, design, and construction in the Gulf Coast including 14 miles of shallow water lay.
- Brownfield sour gas plant retrofit and compressor station project management for 1-mtpa CO2-EOR in Wyoming.
- Project management and regulatory documentation for conversion of 50-mile natural gas pipeline to CO2-EOR service in Mississippi.
Jeff has provided technical and commercial due diligence services for lenders, law firms, professional services firms, and private equity firms for midstream deals valued at over US$6bn in Permian Basin, Bakken Shale, Western Canada, and others. Scope includes risk identification and quantification, review of midstream system design, commercial contracts, construction strategies, and regulatory compliance.
- Specialty lending for private investment firms to underwrite $120M credit facility to support a Permian Basin midstream company to expand asset footprint comprising oil gathering, natural gas processing, and produced water disposal projects.
- Private equity joint venture in a C$7.4bn pipeline project in Canada – evaluated existing asset quality and identified risk factors in proposed expansion’s design, operation, construction, regulations, budget, and schedule.
- Private credit investment on gas plant, pipelines, compression assets in Bakken Shale – evaluated system design, startup/commissioning risk, and commercial agreements.
- Buyside technical and commercial due diligence on oil production facilities, gas plants, water disposal, and pipelines to evaluate asset integrity, optimization opportunities for a Permian Basin operator as part of distressed asset sale.
- Pre-closing technical due diligence for pipeline system as part of oil terminal asset purchase in California.
- Expert witness for pipeline horizontal directional drilling incident in Houston, TX.
- Expert witness for gas pipeline relocation mismanagement near Hackensack River, NJ.
- Key witness for $60MM pipeline construction arbitration involving multiple productivity issues in Louisiana and Texas.
Capital Projects / Engineering Studies
Jeff has managed or designed over US$1.7bn of pipelines, oil & gas processing facilities, and drilling projects for public companies and a private equity portfolio in the Gulf Coast, Midcontinent, Rockies, and Western Canada.
- Heavy crude oil pipeline hydraulics and flow optimization study in the Rockies.
- Midstream natural gas gathering, processing, and treating system in the Mississippi Lime Shale in U.S. Midwest.
- New gas field development including Federal Land permitting, well drilling, gas treating and helium extraction facility design, and infrastructure planning for commercialization.
- Preliminary oil production facility and infrastructure design for asset acquisition planning in the Rockies and Gulf Coast.
- 24-in LNG feeder pipeline design, construction planning, and stakeholder consultation in Canadian west coast through mountainous terrain.
Pipeline Integrity Management
Jeff has provided consulting services for numerous pipeline integrity management projects in the U.S. and Canada.
- Design of algorithm to help oil & gas pipeline operators analyze asset risk and comply with emerging integrity management (IMP) regulations.
- Rehabilitation of vintage 18” gas pipeline including ILI program, defect assessment, valve and crossing replacement.
- Geohazards mitigation program including strain gauge, pipe replacement, repairs on 30” gas pipeline system.
- ECDA program pre-assessment and post-assessment for gas pipelines, including tool selection, data integration, defect classification, and re-assessment interval determination.
- Hydrotest post-assessment study for refinery products pipelines.
- Design of pre-ILI debris mapping program using caliper pigs for a Canadian operator.
- Determination of Maximum Operating Pressure (MOP) for 200-mile crude pipeline system of 6” through 16”.